Learn something new - Sifting

>> Friday, July 25, 2008

Lets say you're in the middle of baking a lovely cake or a tasty batch of cookies. You read the recipe and it says the flour must be sifted. But, OH NO, you don't have a sifter. What are you to do? I guess you can't make that recipe now... hee hee. Don't stop now, I've got an answer for you!

I'm sure that someone either uses this method or has heard of it before. I'm not sure exactly where I picked it up. I may have just made it up one day, I can't remember.

To sift without a sifter -

It's so simple really. Just take an ordinary strainer or colander and measure your flour or dry ingredients into it over another bowl. Then you take a wire whisk and stir the dry ingredients around in the colander until everything goes through it.


In this case I was making cookies
so
I just "sifted" the dry ingredients
right
into my creamed mixture.

And Ta-Da ... you have sifted flour!

4 comments:

Hillary July 25, 2008 at 12:42 PM  

You're so smart. I have a sifter, but I never use the darn thing (maybe that means I should throw it away?). It's way easier to just use my mesh colander.

Anonymous,  August 3, 2008 at 8:10 PM  

I Love this idea. I hope I remember it!! If not I know where to look!!!

Anne/kq August 4, 2008 at 5:56 PM  

So, um, what do you do if you don't have a strainer (or your kids stole and hid it) and your colanders are all dirty? Huh? ;)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)