Buttermilk Pancakes

>> Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I know we've done several breakfast-for-dinner posts in the past, but I have to post this recipe. When I announced the other night that we were doing breakfast for dinner, you'd think my kids had just been told they could go to the toy store and pick out any toy they wanted. They were ridiculously excited.

I've never had pancakes that were so moist and fluffy. Thank you, Better Homes and Gardens! I made a double batch, and my family gobbled them up like they were going out of style. My kids, who are 6, 3 and 22 months, each had 4 pancakes. I couldn't believe they could eat that much.

Also, the electric griddle is my new best friend. I've had mine for about 4 months now, and it's times like these, when I'm making pancakes, that I fall in love with it all over again. I never, ever made pancakes before we bought the griddle because it was almost an hour long process! But now, NOW I can make 6 pancakes at a time. Love it.

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1 cup buttermilk, plus a little extra
2 tablespoons cooking oil

In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside. In another mixing bowl, combine the beaten egg, buttermilk and cooking oil. Add liquid mixture all at once to dry mixture, stirring just until moistened. Use extra buttermilk if batter is too thick.

I assume you all know how to cook pancakes, so I'll skip that part. I served mine simply with honey butter. But you could easily use berries, like the recipe April posted a while ago. Or chocolate chips. Or bananas. Sometimes I love to just top mine with regular butter and then whipped cream. As a kid, I loved to top them with peanut butter. I've never been much of a syrup lover, so I tend to get a bit more creative with my toppings. However, I've recently come across a syrup recipe that I'm definitely going to try, and I'll be sure to post it when I do!


So how do YOU top your pancakes?
What's your favorite thing to add to the batter?

3 comments:

Mindy October 16, 2008 at 5:03 PM  

Those look great! I usually just like a little spray butter on mine. Oh and if I like to throw a banana in the batter!

Ken Albala October 16, 2008 at 6:07 PM  

Fellow Pancake Enthusiasts: May I beg your kind indulgence in bringing to your attention a new book that may be of interest, written by yours truly, entitled Pancake, just released yesterday from Reaktion Books and available on amazon and Barnes and Noble. Both pleasant and diverting, filled with historical anecdotes and pancake ephemera from around the world. Plus delightful recipes.
Yours, Ken Albala

Rachel November 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM  

I like to top my pancakes with my homemade peach jam that didn't jam and is therefore syrup. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)