Cafe Rio Sweet Pork

>> Monday, February 23, 2009

About a year and a half ago, we took the kids to Utah to visit some family. While I was there, I met up with my good friend Kim. She took me to Cafe Rio for lunch. I'd never been there before, but I fell in love with their pork and was determined to figure out how to recreate it at home. I think this is pretty darn close!

Ingredients:
2 pound sirloin pork roast
1 can Dr. Pepper
2 cups enchilada sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 can diced green chilies
1 tablespoon garlic salt

Pour Dr. Pepper, brown sugar, enchilada sauce and chilies into your crock pot and stir to combine. Add the roast and sprinkle it with garlic salt. Cook on low for 4 hours, then remove meat and shred. Return to crock pot, stir well to cover meat with sauce and cook for another 2 hours.

Other parts of this recipe:
Cilantro Lime Rice
Black Beans
Cilantro Lime Ranch

11 comments:

Patrick and Jennifer Thompson February 23, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

MMMMMM!!!!! I love Cafe Rio and am trying this recipe tomorrow for dinner. Well I better head to the grocery store, thanks Hillary.

The cool family! February 23, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

Holy Moly, that sounds SOOO good!!!!

Carrie February 24, 2009 at 5:38 PM  

Do you just put the shredded pork onto rolls? I've never had cafe rio pork, although I've heard many good things!

Hillary February 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM  

Rubyjade-- Stay tuned for the rest of the week, and you'll see it all put together! :)

Celeste Pacatte-Hoffman April 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM  

Pink, I made this last week & it was SOOOOOOOO yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

autumn December 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

have you ever tried this with a different meat? sadly, my husband doesn't like pork.

Hillary December 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM  

Autumn-- I've never made it with anything else, but I'm sure chicken would taste great, too!

autumn January 1, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

thank you!
ok, i've ridden out the craving for as long as i can and NEED to make this. about how many does it serve?

Hillary January 2, 2010 at 7:52 AM  

Autumn-- If you're going to use chicken, I'd use 4 breasts, which would serve about 4 people. When I use a 2 pound pork roast, I can easily feed 6-8 people.

autumn January 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

last comment, i promise!
i used chicken and green enchilada sauce. it didn't smell great in the crockpot which was a bit scary but it all came together. everyone loved it and thought it was delicious!

Anonymous,  February 10, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

Technology really has become one with our daily lives, and I am 99% certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.

I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further advances, the possibility of downloading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about almost every day.

(Posted on N3T for R4i Nintendo DS.)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)