Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup

>> Wednesday, December 31, 2008

This soup is one of my favorites of all time. When we moved away to go to college in 2004, our new tiny town didn't have a Chili's, and I was so bummed. Every time we went home to visit, which was pretty often because we were only an hour and a half away, I'd always make sure I went to Chili's to get a bowl of soup to tie me over until next time.

Then, one day, I realized, DUH! I can find the recipe online and can make it at home! Wow, I'm smart. I couldn't find the exact recipe, but I found a few that gave me some good places to start, and then I tweaked it to make it a pretty darn good replica, if I do say so myself.

Each recipe I found for this soup used an ingredient I'd never heard of before, Masa Harina. So to spare you the temporary anxiety I had from not knowing what this ingredient was, let alone where to find it: it's a Mexican flour found in the baking section of your grocery store, and it's used to make tortillas, tamales and the like.


You can really use whatever you have on hand in this recipe. If I have cans of broth and enchilada sauce, I use that. But most of the time, I just use bouillon cubes and packaged enchilada sauce (both prepared according to package directions). It tastes fantastic either way. If you use bouillon cubes, though, use a little less salt than the recipe calls for. Those are much saltier than canned broths.

This makes a huge pot of soup. I made it the other night for my family of 5, and we all had 2 bowls, plus we all had some for lunch the next day, and I still have at least 1 more bowl's worth in my fridge. But it's so good that you won't mind eating it for like 3 days straight or longer. Oh, yum, now I know what I'm having for lunch!

Ingredients:
1 pound chicken breasts, cooked and diced or shredded
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup Masa Harina
3 cups water
3 cups enchilada sauce
16 ounces Velveeta, cubed
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder

Garnish (pick and choose from this list -- they're all great!):
tortilla chips, crushed
cheddar cheese, shredded

AND/OR:
salsa
tomatoes, sliced or diced
avocado, sliced or diced
pico de gallo
red onion, diced
green onions, diced

Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Saute onions and garlic until onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth. Combine Masa Harina with 2 cups water, and whisk until well-blended. Add to soup. Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, Velveeta, chicken and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes, or until thick.

7 comments:

The cool family! December 31, 2008 at 12:00 PM  

I am TOTALLY making this!!!! I love stuff like this!!!!!

Hillary January 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

Come back and let me know once you try it!! :)

Anonymous,  January 4, 2009 at 11:34 PM  

Thank you for this recipe. I've been looking for it for awhile now. I'm going to try this recipe too.

Carrie February 6, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

Oh YUM!! I need to make this before the weather heats up. Thanks for the recipe!

Tami March 6, 2009 at 6:19 AM  

My picky husband and I had this for lunch yesterday at Chilis and we both really liked it. I can't wait to try your recipe! Thank you for sharing it.

Hanna January 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM  

Hill! My family should have been Mexican! My dad makes Mexican food at least 4 times a week, and its authentic and tasty! So, while browsing through your oh-so-delicious ideas, I saw this and was so excited! My dad always makes Posole and tortilla soup and I have to admit that these soups are my most favorite of all soups. However, I don't think he has ever made an enchilada soup! I cant wait to have him make it. Next time you come down, the Stephens family MUST come to my dad's house and have a family fiesta!Anyways, we all miss and love you <3


P.S. I am sending you the recipe for Posole, because I think you will really enjoy it!

Anonymous,  December 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM  

Making this right now for dinner :-) so excited

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)