Tortellini Soup

>> Wednesday, October 29, 2008

This soup is probably my most favorite soup ever. Every time I make it, people practically bang down my door for the recipe. I got it from an old friend, Jen, several years ago, and I wish I could give her a huge hug to thank her for it. It's so fantastic and comforting, and leftovers are just as good, if not better!

The original recipe calls for turkey sausage. That's the only thing I changed about the recipe. I use hot style bulk sausage instead. My husband and I just aren't big on turkey sausage, and we feel like the regular sausage gives much more flavor.

When you reheat the leftovers, you'll need to add more liquid. I usually just pour in some water, but you can use more broth or even apple cider to thin it out.

Ingredients:
1 pound bulk pork sausage, hot style
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup water
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup apple cider
1 can stewed tomatoes, chopped
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup carrots, sliced thin
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
2 medium zucchini, sliced
1 package dry cheese tortellini
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
shredded Parmesan, for garnish

Brown sausage; drain. Add remaining ingredients except zucchini, tortellini and parsley. Simmer for 30 minutes.



Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for another 30 minutes.


Add more broth if soup is too thick. Serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan.


Serve this soup with breadsticks, homemade white bread or dinner rolls, and you've got a perfect meal!

1 comments:

Amy S. July 22, 2010 at 4:20 PM  

Would you mind letting me know two things:
What size can of stewed tomatoes do you use, and what size is the package of tortellini that you put in (in oz)?
Thanks!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)