Veggie Enchiladas

>> Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm always looking for new meatless meal ideas. My good friend, Marcy, who is also the one who gave me the fantastic Cayenne Rubbed Chicken with Avocado Salsa recipe, passed this recipe along to me recently. I'm so glad she did! It really was very good. My husband and I really enjoyed it, and our almost 2 year old wolfed it down in a matter of seconds. As for my other 2 kids, well, our 6 year old refused to so much as touch the plate it was on ("Spinach?! You want ME to eat SPINACH?!"), and our 3 year old claimed he wasn't hungry. Kids. :)

As far as changes go, I did pepper jack and Monterey jack. The original recipe called for 3 cups of pepper jack, but I didn't want it to be too spicy. Also, the original recipe called for a 10 ounce box of spinach, which I think was a bit too much compared to the other ingredients, so I cut it back a little.

Thanks, Marcy!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper
8 ounce can tomato paste
14.5 ounce can vegetable broth
1.5 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
1.5 cups Monterey jack cheese, shredded
15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
6-7 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 can whole kernel corn
green onions, thinly sliced
corn tortillas

Heat oil over medium heat in a sauce pan. Whisk in flour, tomato paste and 1 teaspoon cumin. Cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly.



Whisk in vegetable broth, salt and pepper and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 6 minutes.


In a medium bowl, combine spinach, corn, 2 cups of cheese (I did the pepper jack in the filling and used the Monterey jack for the top), beans, some green onion, 1 teaspoon cumin and salt and pepper.


Spoon filling into corn tortillas, roll up and place seam side down into a lightly sprayed casserole dish. Top with sauce and remaining cheese. Bake uncovered at 400 for 15-20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and garnish with remaining green onions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)