Cafe Rio Black Beans

>> Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I really like black beans, but they can get so boring! Using canned beans instead of prepping your own is such a time saver, but I also like to be able to personalize store-bought products to make them more my own. I'm not sure how Cafe Rio authentic these are, because I honestly only had it once, but they taste really yummy!

I don't always do these beans exactly this way. If I want a little more variation, I'll add a can of whole kernel corn, throw in some chili powder, toss in some chopped cilantro just before serving, add some diced onion or diced green chilies, add some hot sauce, use diced tomatoes (canned or fresh) instead of tomato sauce, add. . . You really can do tons of little changes that completely change the taste.

Now, don't rush off and make the sweet pork and these beans just yet -- Friday's post will complete this yummy dish!

Ingredients:
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon salsa verde
1/4 cup tomato sauce

All you've gotta do is combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and simmer for about 10 minutes. Easy peasy!

What are your favorite ways to jazz up store-bought products?
Do you use canned beans, or do you prefer to use dried and make them yourself?

2 comments:

The cool family! February 25, 2009 at 5:52 AM  

I've never soaked my beans. I've only ever used canned. I'm scared of dried beans... wouldn't know what to do with them! Plus canned beans have all the juice in them.

The cool family! February 25, 2009 at 5:52 AM  

I've never soaked my beans. I've only ever used canned. I'm scared of dried beans... wouldn't know what to do with them! Plus canned beans have all the juice in them.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)