Spanish Rice

>> Thursday, November 13, 2008

This recipe is dedicated to one of our readers, Beth. :)

I found a recipe for Spanish rice of a recipe site a while ago, but it wasn't quite right. So I tweaked it a bit, and I think it's just as good as any boxed Spanish rice I've ever tried. I'd admittedly never made my own Spanish rice before, and I didn't realize how easy it was!

This recipe would be easy to change up. A few examples would be to throw in some corn, bell pepper or diced green chilies.

Ingredients:
1 cup rice (NOT Minute Rice)
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, diced
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 can tomato paste
1 can stewed tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper, to taste

Cook rice and onion in butter until rice is nicely browned and onion is soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add remaining ingredients.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until rice is tender.

3 comments:

Beth November 13, 2008 at 10:33 PM  

Yeah!

Thank you so much, I will be making this for dinner tomorrow

Beth October 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

Every time I make this I try a few new things. I added some beef stock instead of water to add to the flavor, yummy!

I also tried mixing in cheese with the hot rice, this makes my 2 year old love it!

Thanks for all you do!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)