Chewy Oatmeal Cookies

>> Tuesday, July 7, 2009

This is a slight variation on an old recipe from my mom’s recipe box. I absolutely love oatmeal cookies and this is the best recipe ever! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!


Chewy Oatmeal Cookies


¼ cup shortening

½ cup butter or margarine

1 egg

1 ¼ cups firmly packed brown sugar

1/3 cup milk

1 ½ tsp vanilla

Approx 2 ½ cups flour *

½ tsp salt

½ tsp baking soda

3 cups oats

¼ tsp cinnamon **

1 cup raisins


Heat oven to 375. Grease baking sheets.


Combine shortening, butter, brown sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended.

Combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix into creamed mixture at low speed just until blended. Stir in raisins.

Drop rounded tablespoonfuls (cookie scoop) of dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake for 10-12*** minutes or until lightly browned. Do not overbake. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Cool completely on sheets of foil.


* The original recipe only calls for a cup of flour but that’s not enough. I didn’t measure exactly but just put in enough so it’s not super sticky.


** I don’t measure the cinnamon because I love it so just dump some in if you’re like me.


*** Definitely err on the side of underbaking. You’ll be glad you did.


One final note… as if there could be more, I know… With the cookie scoop, you get very rounded cookies. If you like them more traditional looking just flatten them a bit after you scoop them onto the baking sheet. You’ll see what I mean in the pictures.




2 comments:

Anonymous,  October 14, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

How come you call these oatmeal cookies and there is no oatmeal in them, lol?

Hillary October 14, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

The recipe calls for 3 cups of oats, hence "oatmeal cookies". :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)