Spaghetti Alla Carbonara

>> Monday, November 2, 2009

K, the more recipes I try from my new cookbook, the more I love it. It is so awesome! Seriously, go get a copy! Are you sick of me raving about it yet? Go get a copy and I'll stop! ;-)

A couple of days ago, I was so busy that my day flew by, and it was dinner time before I knew what was happening or had anything planned. I had the bare minimum in the fridge and pantry, so I scoured my cookbook to see what I could possibly make. I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. I saw a cooking show years ago (Rachael Ray, I think?) where the chef made this dish, but I've never tried it. It was so easy and really yummy! Perfect quick, weeknight supper!

A word about the cheese. Just buy a bag of the pre-shredded Parmesan blend, which has the Pecorino and Parmesan already. It'll save you a lot of time and money, rather than buying a block of each.

Ingredients:
3 large eggs
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 slices bacon, chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
salt and pepper
1 pound spaghetti

Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, cheeses and garlic together. Set aside. Then cook the bacon and olive oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat until the bacon is crisp, about 8 minutes. Add the wine (or chicken stock).

Simmer until it is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover.

Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water before draining the pasta. Toss the pasta with the bacon mixture and the cheese mixture. If needed, add additional pasta water to loosen the sauce before serving.

My kids inhaled this. My 4 year old literally had 4 helpings. Not kidding. Spaghetti and bacon? Yes, please!

What do you think of our new blinkie? Have you added one to your blog?
Let us know if you have!

5 comments:

Beth November 5, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

I was just going to have omelets tonight but this looks better!

Thanks!

Beth November 6, 2009 at 4:46 PM  

Oh my gosh! This was so good. I did temper the eggs with the pasta water because I was afraid of scrambling the eggs. My picky 2 year old devoured this ( as did me and my hubby)
THANKS!

Carrie December 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

I actually made this last week, only it was Rachel Ray's recipe. It was really good, but I have to say, it ended up being a little dry. She only added two eggs. I'll try your recipe next time. I think 3 will turn out much better.

Hillary December 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM  

Beth-- I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It really is awesome!

Carrie-- I actually don't like most of Rachael Ray's recipes. I used to be a huge fan of her show back when we had cable, but once I got her cookbooks, there wasn't a single recipe that I LOVED. I had 3 of her cookbooks and actually sold them a couple of weeks ago on Craigslist. lol.

Carrie May 2, 2010 at 5:52 PM  

Okay, tried your recipe. It's fantastic. Seriously delicious! A thousand times better than Rachel Ray's. Also I used wine which, in my opinion, really made a difference. So good!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)