Sweet and Sour Meatballs

>> Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Aaaaaaaaaaand we're back! :)

Wow, going back to school was a rude awakening for me! I thought, "Yeah, I can totally do it! No sweat! How hard can it be?" Um, hard. Really hard. Now I'm juggling 3 hats -- Mom, Wife and Student. But as hard as it is, it's still great to be doing something for me!

Anyway. This recipe we tried for the first time last night. I got it out of my Healthy Cooking magazine back in December of last year and finally remembered to try it. It was really tasty and SO easy. It's also a great meal to have on hand in the freezer. You can have it completely prepared and then just pop it in the oven on a busy day. Fabulous! You could also easily make this in the crock pot. And if you wanted, you could even turn this into a great appetizer for a party. Just omit the rice and serve the meatballs on toothpicks with extra sauce for dipping!

The only thing I changed was that I omitted the raisins. We didn't have any anyway, but I thought that sounded really gross to put in the meatballs. My husband says he thinks it would be really good, so we'll try it with raisins next time, I guess.

Ingredients:
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup water, divided
1/2 cup raisins
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 cup egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cups hot cooked rice

In a saucepan, combine tomato sauce, 3/4 cup water, raisins, brown sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, seasonings, egg and milk. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1 1/2 inch meatballs. Put meatballs into sauce. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until meatballs are no longer pink. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water, then stir into meatball mixture, cooking for 2 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Serve with rice.

What's your favorite meal to have on hand in the freezer?

6 comments:

Unknown February 4, 2010 at 7:42 AM  

Chicken stuffed crescent rolls. The stuffing is simple. Just butter, cream cheese and shredded chicken (I usually end up using canned). You can add any veggies you like, or not. My fav's are spinach and broccoli. You can make LOTS extra (I do a quadruple batch at a time) and throw a bunch into zip locks. The day of, you just make a simple gravy made with cream of chicken soup mixed with chicken stock (I usually use water and buillion from my food storage) and you're set. You could make some rice and/or heat up some veggies...but only minutes of prep. I love it.

Louise February 15, 2010 at 1:39 AM  

I've been looking through Google images and have found your logo for Meal Plan Monday. If I linked your blog back to mine, would you have any objections to me using it on my blog. I now have Mondays free from work and had the thought of posting about quick, cheap and easy meals to make for up and coming work days. Would you object to my current blog friends maybe linking to it too. I look forward to hearing from you. Funnily enough my first meal contains beef mince in just a simple Chilli Con Carne. I look forward to keeping in touch with your future menus. x

Hillary February 15, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

Louise-- Sure, feel free to use the logo and to link your blog to ours. We also have a blog button you can add to your blog if you'd like.

Anonymous,  February 15, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

great post. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Trac February 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM  

Do you use fresh lemon juice or from the bottle?

Hillary February 24, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

Trac-- You can use either! :) If I have fresh lemons, I'll use that. But usually I just have a bottle of that ReaLemon stuff.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)