Reeses Peanut Butter Cake

>> Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I'm not the dessert fanatic that April is, so it'll be very rare that I'll post a dessert recipe at all. I'm admittedly extremely strange and don't love sweets at all. In fact, I actually hate (yes, hate) chocolate. Like I said, extremely strange. But I made this for dessert the other night for the fam, and they all loved it.

The original recipe was a much longer process that involved doing all these odd things to make the cake actually look like a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup. I don't care about having fluted, fancy edges, so I shortened the recipe. The original recipe also called for 2 cups of powdered sugar, but I thought that was way too much, so I reduced it quite a bit. But you may want more.

This is enough batter to make 2 cakes out of. Let me warn you that this cake is extremely rich, so I'm not sure if you'll want to make the full 2 cakes. I just made 1 regular sized cake and then dumped the rest of the batter, and it took my husband and 3 kids about 4 days to finish off the cake. Maybe we're just a house full of weirdos, though? :)

Ingredients:
1 box of chocolate cake mix
1 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 bag milk chocolate chips
3 tablespoons shortening

Prepare cake mix according to directions on box. Let cool, then freeze for about a half hour. Meanwhile, combine butter and peanut butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat until combined. Stir in powdered sugar and graham cracker crumbs.

When peanut butter sauce is finished, remove cake from freezer. Spread peanut butter sauce evenly over the top of the cake. Put back into the freezer for a few minutes to allow the sauce to set. Meanwhile, in a medium sized, microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening, stirring every 30 seconds, until well combined. Remove cake from the freezer, and then evenly spread the chocolate sauce all over the top and sides of the cake. Put cake into the fridge until ready to serve.

You'll want to take the cake out of the fridge probably 10 minutes before you're ready to eat it to allow the chocolate to warm up just a bit, otherwise it's kind of hard to cut. Make sure you have a nice, cold, tall glass of milk handy! Enjoy!

2 comments:

~April~ August 5, 2008 at 11:40 AM  

Alright, I'm officially buying a chocolate cake mix at the store on thursday. That sounds absolutely delicious!!

~April~ August 11, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

We made it yesterday. It is soooo good. And I was naughty and put the full 2 cups of powdered sugar and it tasted just like Resses cups. Next time I need to use a devil's food cake mix though.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)