Granola Bars

>> Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My kids LOVE granola bars. They go through them so fast it was starting to get really expensive so I started looking for recipes to make them. I tried one and didn't really like it much. Then I tried another and I am in love with it. They are sooooooo delicious. If I know we have some, I'm craving them. And you can do anything with them too.

Granola Bars

Cooks.com


4 c uncooked oats (not instant)
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp ground cinnamon (I just dump some in… we love cinnamon)
½ c. dried fruit (raisins, apples, apricots, cranberries, anything)
½ c. shredded coconut
1 c chopped nuts (we leave them out)
¾ c. melted butter or margarine
½ c. honey



Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.

Mix well, with greased hands, (I use a wooden spoon) and

press into well greased 15 ½ x 10 ½ jelly roll pan. Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes until light golden brown.

Cool thoroughly and cut into bars. Store in airtight container.

**April’s notes**
- spray your measuring cup before you measure the honey, then it slides right out
- I spray my hands with cooking spray before pressing into pan… it’s still sticky.
- our favorite is to chop dried apricots and apples (baking isle at walmart) and mix them in for the fruit.

- I put the pans into the fridge after they’re mostly cool. It makes the bars very easy to cut without them falling apart.
- I also store them in the fridge. They crumble very easily at room temperature. They’re delicious chilled and hold their shape.

1 comments:

Melissa September 16, 2008 at 2:09 PM  

i don't usually read this blog but i should more often! i never cook and you guys have good ideas. :) your kids look like they're having fun helping you cook. they're adorable of course. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)