Hawaiian Haystacks

>> Monday, September 22, 2008

I was supposed to be posting recipes that would help us all cut grocery costs, and I am still planning on it. But life has gotten in the way and hasn't allowed me to have much baking/cooking time the past few days. But stay tuned, because I've got recipes coming for more breads and homemade noodles!

Hawaiian Haystacks are so delicious and super easy! It's a meal that can feed a crowd with very little effort. My kids eat this dish like it's going out of style, and the adults love it, too. I'd never had it before I met my husband. His mom made it all the time, and it quickly became a fast favorite of mine. Most people put different things on theirs, so change it up to meet your family's tastes.

My mother-in-law always makes it with chicken breasts, and that's the way we always did it as well. Until we discovered chicken thighs. I think every dish tastes better with thighs, but feel free to use whatever kind of chicken floats your boat! On that same note, we also use Jasmine rice instead of regular rice. We much prefer the flavor of that to any other type of rice, and I think it makes this dinner taste even better.

Ingredients:
4-5 chicken breasts or thighs
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 can milk
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
cooked rice

Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. Season chicken with seasoning salt, and cook in a large skillet until done. Stir in soup and milk until well-combined. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. When rice is done, top with chicken mixture and any toppings you like. The toppings we always use are: shredded cheddar cheese, pineapple tidbits, cashews, black olives, chow mein noodles, peas and green onions. My kids also top theirs with bananas.

Do you already make this dinner and have different toppings you like on it? We'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

Elizabeth August 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM  

this is the second time I've made this! Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous,  December 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

My husband and his missionary companions used bugles for the crunch. So, we have bugles and chow mein noodles.

If you use the crock pot or like to make 2 meals out of one, here is another way to prepare chicken that is awesome:

Creamy Italian Chicken

Chicken/Turkey meat
block of cream cheese cubed
Cream of Chicken Soup
1 packet of Good Seasons Dry Italian dressing mix.

Mix it all together and cook until the sauce boils or throw it in the crockpot for 6 hours on low.

The day after I make this, I stir in another can of cream of chicken soup and we make Hawaiian haystacks.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)