Cheese and Potato Enchiladas

>> Monday, November 10, 2008

I dubbed April the Queen of Cheap Cooking a long time ago. Her grocery budget puts mine to shame, and I have no idea how she does it. This recipe is one that she gave me, and it proves that cheap doesn't have to equal tasteless. It's so yummy and easy. She gave me this recipe one day when I was telling her how I was on the lookout for new meatless meal ideas, and this one is perfect! And the leftovers are just as good, which is always a huge bonus for me.

One quick word about the shredded potatoes. If you can find some with onions and peppers already in there, use those. This recipe will still taste really yummy with plain shredded potatoes, but the ones with the onions and peppers really gives it something extra and makes it even more yummy.

Ingredients:
3 cups frozen shredded potatoes
4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
14 ounces tomato sauce
1/4 cup chili powder
1/2 cup water
flour tortillas

Combine potatoes and half of cheese in a large bowl. Set aside.



In a medium sauce pan, combine tomato sauce, water and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.


Spoon some potato mixture into each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a 9x13 baking dish. Top with sauce and remaining cheese.


Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. I like to serve mine with a dollop of sour cream on top.


Do you regularly make meatless meals?
Post your favorite, and we'll try it and post it!

4 comments:

Meagan November 10, 2008 at 12:46 PM  

I found this on the NieNie Dialogues. She has a food/cooking blog.

Mexican Lasagna

•1 cup cilantro, chopped
•1 package (10oz) fresh spinach, chopped
•1 medium onion, chopped
•¼ tsp salt
•¼ tsp pepper
•8 corn tortillas (6 inch)
•1 (15.5oz) can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
•1 cup prepared salsa
•8 oz Pepper Jack cheese, grated (about 2 cups)

Combine cilantro, spinach, onion, salt & pepper in food processor until coarsely chopped. If you don’t have a food processor, just give it a few extra chops with a knife.

Coat an 8x8 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Lay 4 tortillas on the bottom of pan. They will overlap. Layer with ½ the beans, salsa, some spinach mixture, and cheese. Repeat the layers, starting with tortillas and ending with cheese. Press the layers together.

Cover dish with foil; place on a rimmed baking sheet to avoid spills in your oven. Bake until bubbling, approximately 25 to 30 minutes; remove foil and continue baking until golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Delicious with sour cream or quacamole.

This is a little spicy, but not too bad. I'd say medium? If you want less heat, use Monterey Jack. You could substitute all of the pepper jack, or only part of it. This was a huge hit, and my hubby is a carnivore! Even he loved it.

Maria November 10, 2008 at 2:17 PM  

I usually make meatless meals since I don't eat meat..I sometimes make meat for my hubby though! Check out my blog for recipes!

Anonymous,  November 24, 2008 at 2:36 PM  

Hi, I don't mean to be rude, but are you sure it is only 15 minutes at 350? It just didn't seem long enough to me? I just wanted to clarify.

Hillary November 24, 2008 at 5:02 PM  

Hey, Heather. Typo! It should have read "25 minutes", not "15 minutes". Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)