Garlic Chicken Spaghetti

>> Monday, April 20, 2009

Yet another shout out to my awesome cooking magazines! I'm not sure I'll ever have time to go back to my cookbooks if I keep finding yummy recipes like this. My husband said this was "amazing", and my kids all ate it up. My 7 year old picked at it a bit, but she's going through a doesn't-like-anything-but-chicken-nuggets phase, so we'll just pretend she thanked me profusely and asked for another plate. :)

This one was pretty easy and is pretty versatile. You could take out the chicken for a meatless meal. You can use any tomatoes you have on hand -- I used stewed tomatoes that I diced up, but you could use reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes, canned diced tomatoes or even fresh tomatoes. You could substitute 1/2 cup white wine for the broth (so use 1/4 cup chicken broth and 1/2 cup wine).

Ingredients:
1 pound spaghetti
1/2 cup tomatoes
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 pound chicken, cubed (I used 3 breasts, which was the perfect amount)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
5 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup parsley, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated

Cook spaghetti according to package directions. While spaghetti cooks, place flour and garlic salt in a large bag, add chicken and shake to coat. Saute chicken in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet until browned.

Remove chicken from pan. Saute mushrooms and garlic in remaining olive oil until tender.

Add broth, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir in chicken and tomatoes. Add spaghetti and toss to coat evenly. Top with cheese before serving.


Do you like sun-dried tomatoes?

2 comments:

mdmebrat April 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

Well, Hillary, J made this last night (since I am down and out on the couch) and the kids and he all loved it! Nicely done! I, on the other hand couldn't stomach it. Had a bad chicken and pasta encounter recently at a restaurant and since then just can't put the two together. But, to have all 6 kids eating it and nobody groaning about it - huge accomplishment! Thanks!@

Hillary April 22, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

I'm so glad they all liked it, Jess!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)