Crock Pot Rice Pudding

>> Monday, May 4, 2009

I've been wanting to make rice pudding for a long time. I recently stumbled across the blog A Year of Crock Potting, and I found this recipe. It's really yummy! Very rich. Very. But the kids and I really enjoyed it. My husband said, "Rice? As a dessert?" and refused to even try a bite, which is odd considering he loves anything and everything. But that was okay with me because it meant more leftovers! :)

I changed the recipe a bit. I used jasmine rice instead of regular rice. We don't even have regular rice at our house. I also added a little less liquid. Her recipe calls for 8 cups, I only used 7 and thought that was plenty.

Ingredients:
7 cups milk
1 cup white rice
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Combine milk, rice and sugar in the crock pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.

When the rice is tender, combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl.

Add about a cup of the hot rice mixture in to the egg mixture, and stir well to combine. Add 2-3 more cups into the egg mixture (this is called tempering your eggs -- if you don't do this step, your eggs will scramble, so it's VERY important!). Then pour everything back into the crock pot. Mix well, and cook on low another hour. Serve warm or cold, topped with berries or raisins or nothing at all. It's good any way you serve it.

You're all pretty quiet out there in Blog Land!
Talk to us!
What's your favorite dessert?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)