Taquitos

>> Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I had this really out of the blue craving for taquitos the other day. Which is funny, because I absolutely HATE the store-bought frozen kind. They have zippo flavor and are just icky. Plus they're not very good for you. I decided to make my own, more healthy, version -- baked, not fried. It's really a very simple concept, and they turned out a million times more delicious than the pre-made ones.

Another bonus. It really impressed my husband. He came home from work, walked in, said, "Taquitos, huh?", put one in his mouth and then stopped dead in his tracks. Then he said, "Wait a minute. These have salt on them. These have flavor........Did you MAKE these? Like, from SCRATCH?" Why, yes! Yes, I did! :) I didn't tell him how ridiculously easy they were to make. I wanted all the brownie points I could get.

I won't tell if you won't! :)

This is another "recipe" that's just a method. This is just how I did mine, but you can season it however you want, use chicken or pork instead of the beef, use a different cut of beef, etc. I used the cut I did because I found a really good deal for a GINORMOUS roast that week.

Ingredients:
1-2 pound eye of round roast
2 teaspoons each of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup salsa
8 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
2 tablespoons butter, melted
corn tortillas

Put the roast in the crock pot and season well. Pour salsa over the top and cook on low for 6 hours.

When meat is falling apart, shred it, then let it cook on low for another hour.

Place meat in a large bowl. Add the cream cheese and mix until well-combined. If you're having trouble getting it to mix together, you can add a little of your cooking liquid from the crock pot.

Microwave corn tortillas in between damp paper towels until they are very pliable, about 2 minutes. Spoon some meat mixture onto each tortilla and roll. Place seam-side down on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. While you're working on rolling up each tortilla, keep the already-rolled ones covered with a damp kitchen towel or paper towel, otherwise they will dry up and start to crack.

Brush the tops of each tortilla with melted butter, then sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake at 375 until tortillas are golden brown and crispy. Serve with sour cream and guacamole for dipping.

The slightly-too-browned edges are what happens when you're distracted by your potty-training 2 year old -- she suddenly had to go, actually made it to the potty and was so insanely proud of herself and CUTE that I got too caught up in dancing around like a crazy person, clapping and cheering, and forgot about my food in the oven.... :)

Did you do anything festive for Cinco de Mayo?

10 comments:

Carole Powell May 9, 2009 at 8:01 AM  

Y U M M Y!!!! I'm going to make these! I love fresh ones but I agree the store ones are gross. And sometimes things are good with a little extra crisp on the ends.

Hillary May 9, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

Carole-- Thanks for making me feel better about burning them. lol! :)

Rachel May 9, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

Those look delicious.

Carole Powell May 17, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

So I've been making these like crazy! I've been using chicken but they are so great!

Hillary May 17, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

I'm so glad you like them so much, Carole! We had them for dinner tonight! :)

Kristy June 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM  

Thanks for this one! We had these for dinner last night. So good!

Becky Mendoza September 9, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

Those look soo delish! I just discovered your blog from Babycenter, and I'm so glad I did! Can't wait to try some of your recipes!!

Wiski January 20, 2010 at 8:28 AM  

I didn't use your recipe for the meat mixture. I had some leftover chile verde from the night before I used.

I did use your baking technique though. SUPERB! Thank you! I will never fry another taquito in my life.

Anneka November 21, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

Hillary, have you ever frozen these? I'm going to make them this week and wondered how and if they freeze well. I'm so excited to try them!!

Hillary November 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

Anneka- I haven't frozen them myself yet, but I've always wanted to! I think they would freeze very well. I'd just make sure to really soften the tortillas so they're nice and pliable. Then I'd roll them up tighter/smaller so they'd hold up better.

I'm glad you posted this because my upright freezer is empty right now, and I need to fill it up again. I've been making a list of meals I will be making to fill it up, but for some reason never thought of these! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)