Bagel Pizzas

>> Monday, July 19, 2010

Is summer going by crazy fast for anyone else? My hubby has summers off (he's a school psychologist), so we've been really busy almost every second. He goes back to work at the end of next week (BOO!), so things will start to settle down a bit after that. Come August, I'll have 2 of my 3 kids in school, so I'll have much more time for this little blog of mine!

So anyway, the other night we were late getting home from the pool and were starving. I had some bagels and pepperoni about ready to go bad and needed to use them up. Thus, this idea popped into my head. My kids scoffed at me ("Bagel pizzas? Are you sure, Mom?") at first, but then I reminded them that we always see those pre-made frozen ones at the store. They still were skeptical because we've never purchased the ones at the store before, but everyone loved these.

You could totally make them ahead of time and keep them in the freezer for quick meals. I plan on doing that and then popping them in the fridge to defrost to send with my kids to school that week. Pizza is so versatile (you can eat it hot or cold), so I think it'll be perfect for their lunches to change things up a bit.

Lastly, this is a perfect meal to let your kids prepare! My kids were fighting over who got to spread the sauce, and they loved spreading on the cheese and pepperoni. :)

Ingredients:
plain bagels
pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce
shredded mozzarella
pizza toppings

Break bagels in half, and lay them out on a foil-lined baking sheet. Top with a few spoonfuls of sauce, then cheese, then toppings. Sprinkle a little extra cheese on top before baking.

Bake at 375* for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and pepperoni starts to get crispy around the edges.

I served ours with some fresh, sliced cantaloupe and a salad. It was a really yummy summer supper!

What meals do you throw together in a pinch?

4 comments:

~April~ July 20, 2010 at 5:19 AM  

My kids LOVE bagel pizzas. Have you ever tried them using mini-bagels. They are really fun.

Julie July 25, 2010 at 6:52 AM  

Yummo! I just woke up and it sounds like a really good breakfast to me :)

Hanna July 27, 2010 at 12:22 AM  

um....brilliant! We were never allowed to eat those pre-made pizza bagels, and it was a bummer because what kid wouldn't die over bagels with pizza toppings on them? So I am disappointed that this fabulous idea never entered my mind throughout the entirety of my childhood days. However, I will definitely be making these and letting my dad know that these really are a great sack lunch invention!
Hill, you're the best!

SoCal_Me August 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM  

We usually make our mini pizzas on english muffins but maybe I'll try bagels next time!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)