April's Fabulous Crock Pot Chili

>> Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Alright, I know you've all been waiting on the edge of your seats for this one. :) I came up with this one day while I was trying to think of something to cook for dinner that wouldn't take much time on my part. Then.... DING.... the light bulb turned on. I have everything to make chili and I could just throw it in the crock pot and not touch it again until dinner time. Well, it was perfect. You can do many variations with it as well. Different beans, veggies, tomatoes, spices, etc. It is also extremely budget friendly. If you are really tight just leave out the ground beef and you have a lot of dinner for just a couple dollars.

April's Fabulous Crock Pot Chili

1 lb ground beef
3 - 15 oz cans of beans
(Any combination works great. My favorite is chili beans, kidney beans, and black beans.)
2 - 15 oz cans of tomatoes
(any variety, if you like your chili chunky then use diced, if you like it smoother then use crushed)
1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 small can diced green chilies
onion
garlic

Spices to taste:
chili powder
cumin
salt
pepper
paprika
oregano

Optional Veggies:
green bell pepper, chopped
red bell pepper, chopped
tomatoes, diced

  • Brown ground beef with onion and garlic. I threw in the diced peppers and diced tomatoes when it was almost browned.
  • While beef is browning, throw everything else in the crock pot.
  • I put the tomato sauce into a small bowl and mix in all my spices into that and then I add it to the crock pot.
  • I also added some chili powder to my beef mixture.
  • When beef is done, add to crock pot and mix well.
  • Cook on low until dinner time
  • Serve with corn bread


This recipe completely fills my crock pot. I'm not sure the size but I'm guessing it's about 3 qt.


Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Crystal August 20, 2008 at 1:45 PM  

I made your chili last night. I know crazy to think of chili in the summer, 96 degrees yesterday. I wanted some chili for chili cheese fries, later this week. I am so tired of store bought open a can and dump in a pot chili. Your chili looked easy and delicious. So I stuck some in the crockpot and had it for dinner with corn bread. Yummy is all I can say. I think it will still take me a bit to get the right seasoning, but my whole family of 6 loved it. And now we have leftover for chili cheese fries.

Hillary August 20, 2008 at 2:14 PM  

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, Crystal! Chili cheese fries are so yummy - now you've got me craving them! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)