Kettle Corn

>> Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I love kettle corn! I always love going to the fair, just for the kettle corn. Making your own popcorn is a super easy way to save some money. If you're anything like me, you cannot watch a movie without a bowl full of popcorn (or kettle corn, depending on my mood). And we love to watch movies at our house, so we go through a lot of popcorn. Our kids would each eat an entire bag if we'd let them.

We were having a fun movie night at home a few months ago, and I decided to browse around online to find a yummy kettle corn recipe. I came across this one on Food Network, courtesy of Rachael Ray.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unpopped corn kernels
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt

Place oil, sugar and kernels in a LARGE pot with a tight fitting lid over medium heat.

When kernels begin to pop, shake the pot constantly (it will burn FAST if you stop shaking it, even for a second!). Transfer to a bowl, allow to cool for about 3 minutes, then enjoy!!

**To make it more "grown up", Rachael says you can adjust the sugar to 1/4 cup and then throw 1 teaspoon chipotle powder in. I haven't tried doing it this way yet, but it sounds really interesting!**

Is there anyone out there? Tell us, do you prefer regular popcorn or kettle corn? Light or extra butter? Any particular brand you prefer when you buy it?

5 comments:

Biks September 24, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

I make kettle corn at festivals. The trick I’ve noticed is to get the sugar and oil to melt completely before it pops. You want to get it to a point where you’ve almost browned the sugar, and not just have it melt and stick to the popcorn. It’s tricky, because the sugar just loves to burn and stick to your pan.

Hillary September 25, 2008 at 9:29 AM  

Thanks for that tip, Eric! I'll definitely keep that in mind the next time I make it. :)

Rachel October 6, 2008 at 11:29 AM  

Regular popcorn for me, thanks. Dh is alone in his love for kettle corn.

Carrie October 21, 2008 at 1:50 PM  

Kettle corn!!! I'll be making this for sure. Thanks for the recipe!

Becky Mendoza September 10, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

I can't wait to try it! I LOVE Marshmallow Magic popcorn. It's like a rice crispy treat! It's just in the microwave popcorn section at the store. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)