Huevos Rancheros

>> Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I've been on a mission to find meatless meals and came across this one in my trusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I'd never even had Huevos Rancheros before, even at a restaurant, so I thought it would be perfect to try. It was super easy and really good.

You can make these for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We had them for dinner tonight, so I served them up with a side of refried beans and cheese.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
16 ounce can stewed tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons diced green chilies
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
5-7 corn tortillas
7 eggs
3/4 cup Monterey Jack or cheddar, shredded

In a large skillet, cook onion in olive oil. Stir in undrained tomatoes, diced green chilies, garlic powder and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, brush tortillas with some olive oil and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until crisp. Once tomato mixture has thickened, crack one egg at a time into a measuring cup. Gently pour egg into tomato mixture, then repeat with remaining eggs.

Simmer gently, covered, for 3-5 minutes, or until the whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken (but are not hard). To serve, place a tortilla on a plate, top with 1-2 eggs, some of the tomato mixture and then cheese.

We don't have a very comment-happy group lately!
Show us some love -- leave a comment!

7 comments:

Anonymous,  August 27, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

I've never seen it made this way...I'm going to have to try it. I always do my eggs separately and serve them on top of the sauce. I can't wait to try this.

Angela August 27, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

I made your cheese and potatoe enchiladas last night and they were a hit! My husband loves enchilades but gets tired of the plain old cheese, chicken, or beef, so I have tried to come up with some variations even making Buffalo chicken ones with chicken marinated in hot sauce and a blue cheese dressing sauce. These were a hit with everyone and kept me from making multiple kinds! Thanks!

Hillary September 5, 2009 at 5:34 PM  

Angela-- I'm so glad you liked the enchiladas! Your buffalo chicken enchiladas sound pretty interesting! Would you email the recipe?

Angela September 15, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

Sorry Hillary, we have been on vacation I would be happy to email you the recipe. I hope you are feeling better!

Angela September 15, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Hillary, I couldn't find your email address on your blog anywhere so here is the recipe. I will warn you...most of the time I wing it so the measurements may be a little off.

2 cups shredded chicken
6 flour tortillas (gordita size)
1/2 cup favorite buffalo sauce
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cup favorite blue cheese dressing
2 cups monterey jack cheese
handful blue cheese crumbles

Coat the chicken in the buffalo sauce. Mix the soup and the dressing, spread a small amount of the soup mixture in the bottom of your baking dish (just enough so the tortilla's won't stick. Add a good amount of the chicken mixture in each tortilla (I usually separate it into 6 portions before I start filling so they will all be about the same size), add 2 tbsp of the soup mixture and 2 tbsp jack cheese, fold put seem side down in baking dish. Cover enchilada's with remaining soup mixture, sprinkle with remaining jack cheese, sprinkle blue cheese crumbles on top. Cover with foil, bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and soup mixture is bubbly.

I actually have adjusted my basic recipe to make it "buffalo", to make plain chicken enchilada's I exclude the buffalo sauce and use sour cream instead of blue cheese dressing. I usually make a batch of each so my 1 1/2 year old can eat with us. Then I freeze the left overs for a quick dinner that I can just pull out and reheat. I hope you enjoy it!

mushbelly September 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

This is my first time checking out your site. Looks like you have some good ideas! I think I'll make some sweetheart cookies today. I just dropped my kids off at school, so I think I'll make the dough, and let it chill until they get home.

I love huevos rancheros - but this is totally different than how I make it. I'm excited to try your version.

Keep up the good work!

Hillary September 22, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

Angela-- Our email address is now listed on the side. Sorry about that!

Mushbelly-- Welcome to our site! :) Come back and let us know if/when you try any of the recipes!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)