Sweetheart Cookies

>> Friday, August 28, 2009

This is my mom's recipe. She makes a huge batch of these every single year around Christmas. It's one of the things that makes me feel closer to home when I make them because they were such an integral part of our holiday season.

It's such an easy recipe. And it's fabulous to let your kids help you make. My kids just love sticking their little thumbs into the dough balls to make the hole for the jam. I let them have at it this time, so our cookies turned out really flat, but we all had fun, which is all that matters.

You can use any flavor jam you'd like to fill these with. I always use strawberry or raspberry, but that's only because my oldest daughter will scoff at any jam that isn't one of those flavors. :)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
jam

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolk and mix well. Then add flour. Mix gently until combined. Pick up some dough and try to roll it into a ball. If it doesn't come together and breaks apart, add a tablespoon or 2 of milk and mix until combined.

Chill for 2-3 hours. Remove from fridge and let sit on counter for a few minutes to soften. Then roll into 1 inch balls (ours were a lot bigger than that because my kids insisted on doing that part themselves. Don't worry if yours are larger -- that'll just mean they'll end up being flatter after they bake) and place 2 inches apart (more than 2 inches if you make larger balls). Using the end of a wooden spoon (or the thumbs of your kids), press a hole into each dough ball.

Then fill each hole with jam.

Bake at 350 for about 13 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. They're supposed to hold their shape and be dainty and cute. But I love these imperfect cookies my 3 sweethearts and I made! :)

Anyone have any fun weekend plans?
I'm baking tomorrow -- bread, rolls, etc.
Fun, fun!

1 comments:

Unknown August 29, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

UMMM... these look good.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)