Homemade Blue Cheese

>> Monday, December 14, 2009

I know we usually do Meal Plan Monday today, but I don't have my menu put together this week. Plus, it's just going to be super cheap stuff to save some moolah. Today is my birthday, and my hubby made me a fantastic steak dinner, complete with twice baked potatoes (recipe coming!) and a salad. He also bought a large tub of blue cheese crumbles so we could make our own blue cheese dressing. We've never done this before, and it was so good! And so, so easy!

I know blue cheese is a funny thing that not everyone likes. I used to hate it actually. But I've come to love it over the last year or so, and I'm stoked to have a great dressing recipe now! Oh, and the recipe came from our trusty America's Test Kitchen Cookbook. Of course. ;)

Ingredients:
6 ounces (1 1/2 cups) blue cheese crumbles
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Using a fork, mash the blue cheese, buttermilk and garlic together in a bowl until the mixture resembles cottage cheese.

Stir in sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.


Are you a blue cheese lover or hater?

Not sure what to do with the rest of the buttermilk?
Buttermilk pancakes
Ranch dressing
Avocado salad dressing
Ranch dip


1 comments:

Unknown December 16, 2009 at 7:07 AM  

Happy Birthday!

My husband would love this. He love Blue Cheese and has gotten me to eat it too. I love a good cobb salad!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We really enjoy hearing from our readers. :)